Your Poop, Your Pee
The telling signs of good health around your poop, your pee!
A regular bowel movement (at least once daily), prevents toxin build up in the bowel and from toxins being resorbed. Removing end products of metabolism, hormones, bacterial by-products, pesticides and chemicals are all passed through your stools. We want to ensure they are removed regularly.
Bristol Stool Chart
- The Bristol Stool Chart is a medical aid used by clinicians to track the digestive and gastrointestinal health in patients.
- Generally Types 3 and 4 (especially 4) are considered ideal. Types 1 and 2 represent constipation. Types 5 and 6 are making their way to become diarrhea. Type 7 means you’re having diarrhea (not so good). This is used as a guide to assess the condition of your movements.
- Be medium brown, the colour of plain cardboard
- Leave the body easily with no straining or discomfort and is the consistency of toothpaste
- Like a smiley banana!! A sausage-like shape. See the Bristol Stool Chart opposite
- Be approximately about 10 cm to 20 cm
- Enter the water smoothly without sticking to the toilet bowl
- Fully evacuate each time (no feeling like there is something left behind in the bowel)
- Have little smell or odour
A balanced Diet
A poor diet along with impaired digestive function contributes to constipation. Low fibre diets and diets high in processed foods including take-aways, eating out frequently can contribute to lowered fibre and less resistant starch in the diet that help to promote favourable balance.
Fibre aids the digestive process, stimulates muscular contraction and helps food more through the digestive tract. It is all about balance. You don’t want excessive fibre as this can also cause constipation however a reasonable 30-40grams is recommended along with plenty of water to hydrate and flush.
Increasing fibre is easy. Include soaked chia seeds, flaxseeds, or pysllium husk daily to promote and bulk the stool. It’s like a broom sweeping out your intestines.
Other signs and symptoms associated with constipation
- Indigestion – uncomfortable feelings after food in the intestinal area
- Bad breath
- High cholesterol
- Weight gain
What causes constipation?
- Low fibre
- Lowered digestive enzymes
- Eating on the run (not taking time to allow digestion to occur slowly and naturally)
- Constipation can occur in women premenstrually
- Oestrogen dominance or imbalance can also contribute
- Low thyroid function as metabolism is slower
- Over use of laxatives
- Stress and anxiety
- Travelling and not consuming your ‘normal’ daily foods and intake of water
- Magnesium deficiency – the great relaxing mineral
- Bacterial gut imbalance – Dysbiosis (as naturopaths call it)
- Lack of exercise
- Medication (check with your doctor whether your medication is contributing)
Are laxatives a good option?
Clinicians prefer to always find the underlying reason for your constipation, diarrhea or irregular pee concerns. We like to treat the underlying cause, rather than apply potentially harmful addictive laxatives. The long term problem with laxatives is that often the person relies on them, they become dependent which means your bowel stop functioning normally on its own.
Ideal Pee – The Shades of Yellow
- Pale pee means you are drinking lots of water, and maybe head to the toilet a lot throughout the day. Dark pee is often a sign of lack of fluid intake, and you need to drink more water. Food can sometimes be the reason for a red coloured pee. If you have not been eating beetroot or a food that is likely to impart that colour and you see red this is a RED FLAG. It needs to be investigated to ensure it is not blood. Murky cloudy urine could indicate a urinary tract infection and again needs to be investigated.
- What is the normal amount of water to drink daily? You need to have approximately 2 litres of filtered water daily. Over and above 3 litres is getting too high and can interfere with osmolarity of the body.
- pH Balance – A pH of 7 or slightly above is considered ideal. Anything that deviates to far into acidity (lower than 7 to 0), or into alkalinity (above 7 to 14) on a regular basis could indicate disease and needs to be investigated.
The Scoop on your Poop, https://www.pennmedicine.org/updates/blogs/health-and-wellness/2019/march/poop
The Truth about Urine, https://www.webmd.com/urinary-incontinence-oab/truth-about-urine#1
What your urine colour says about your health, https://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-what-the-colour-of-pee-green-pink-yellow-says-about-health
Bio-Compatibility Hair Testing
Allow your own hair to unlock the secrets for a happy healthier you!
Suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Bloating, Headaches or Skin issues? Bio-Compatibility Hair Testing is new to Gaining Health Naturally!
Finding you are sensitive to everything, have persistent migraines, autoimmunity and can’t find solutions?
You don’t have to suffer in silence any more….
The Bio-Compatibility Hair System is:
- The Bio-Compatible Hair Test – Tests for 500 standard foods and household items found in your home such as: deodorants, sunscreens, bathroom chemicals, kitchen cleaning products and toothpaste.
- In addition, it is an easy and accurate test that involves taking a small piece of hair and offers an in-depth examination of your current sensitivities.
- It is a restorative health program that is safe and easy to follow as it involves staying away from the foods and chemicals in your immediate environment that are affecting your health.
- It’s completely individualised to you!
Get to the underlying issues of your health concerns. If you have irritable bowel syndrome, digestive issues, headaches, skin issues and even autoimmunity you may find that food sensitivities are part of the underlying causes and triggers. It’s difficult to guess which foods may be causing the problem, and many people try to eliminate certain foods, only to find the problem is unresolved.
The Cost: $250.00 + GST ($25.00) for 500 items which includes a 16-page dietary advice report.
Order online here today!
Your sample is sent to the lab and a few weeks later the report arrives back at Gaining Health Naturally. The report indicates easily which items are not compatible for you. Yes, that means no more guessing! These items need to be removed for six months, at which time a re-test is recommended to see if foods can be slowly reintroduced.
Another feature is full instructions on how to follow the wellness program for the next six months is also provided.
Please note: If the test is used for a baby, the list of tested items is expanded to include nappies, baby creams and lotions, baby food, and other baby products. The baby test is $260 + GST.
Who may benefit?
Need to get to the underlying issues of your health concerns? This may be part of the picture for you. So often food imbalances and chemical sensitivities affect our health.
Anyone suffering from:
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Digestive Issues such as bloating, flatulence, burping, fatigue
- Headaches and Migraines
- Skin concerns such as Acne, Psoriasis, rashes and itching
- Weight Gain
- Autoimmune conditions
- Behavioural issues and more… may benefit from the Bio-Compatible Hair Testing.
- The test involves taking a small hair sample, that tests for 500 foods and household items. It can also test specific brands if you would prefer for a small extra fee.
- It is non-intrusive test with the best thing being there are no blood tests or scratch tests needed!
Your hair test for the 500 items can be ordered directly from Gaining Health Naturally and then an initial consultation is required with your practitioner to follow up your test results and explain how to progress. This is available via Skype @ gaining health or phone.
If you prefer to call and order your Bio-Compatible Hair Test over the phone you can do that as well. Payment can be received over the phone.
Once you place your order, your test kit information will be sent you in the post and complete the information on the form and send your hair away! It is simple and easy to do. After approximately two weeks your report arrives at Karen Green Naturopath. She will contact you to make an appointment to sit down together to discuss your action plan. If you prefer to have your consultation over the phone or via skype this is also possible as this testing comes with a full report that can be sent to you.
Consultations are available with Karen Green face-to-face in Deception Bay, North Brisbane or via skype or phone.
MTHFR, What’s the fuss?
MTHFR, What’s the fuss, began several years ago for me when I noticed that several of my patients continually suffered from fatigue and stress and after providing specific nutrients their health improved. Surprisingly for others nothing changed. I kept asking myself what is going on? In times past, there has been a belief that your genes are set in stone and therefore there is nothing you can do to change them. In other words you were doomed with what you have! We know know this is no where near the truth. Your diet, lifestyle and the environment you live absolutely make a difference. You can influence your genes!
Anxiety, A modern Dilemma?
Anxiety, a modern dilemma or a part of our busy modern lifestyle? Here Gaining Health Naturally explores the common causes and what you can do to assist. Anxiety is one of the most common mental disorders in Australia affecting approximately 1 in 7 people. Women are more likely to have an anxiety disorder (18%) than men (11%) according to the 2007, Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS). From my clinical experience both anxiety and depression are on the increase with more and more people seeking help.
What does a Naturopath do?
Naturopaths are detectives, problem solvers, educators and health coaches!
The Detective & Problem Solver
A naturopath works to discover and uncover the cause/s to your health issue or condition. Whether is an acute health condition such as a cold or flu or something more chronic such as Type II Diabetes or IBS, the aim is to resolve this as easily and effortlessly as possible. This can take a few weeks and for some years. Naturopaths care about your health and therefore ask many questions and perform different tests so they can formulate the best individualised treatment program for you. Karen Green uses current scientific research to back up her treatment plans. A Naturopaths job however is not to diagnose. We like to work in with your doctor and other health professionals.
The Educator & Wellness Coach
Karen Green, from Gaining Health Naturally, works with you to fine tune your diet and lifestyle assisting you to make better health choices. Karen motivates you toward change with realistic day to day approaches using food as medicine, herbs and nutritional supplements and lifestyle balance. She will recommend eating fresh, local, season produce and may suggest exercise, stretching or relaxation, dependent on your needs so you can lead a more productive healthy life. In identifying the best approach for you a naturopath/nutritionist guides and supports you toward transformation.
Karen brings many years’ experience within the Complementary Health Industry, as a practitioner and trainer, coupled with a passion and an intuitive approach to her consultations. Karen is Senior lecturer in Natural Medicine at the Australian Institute of Applied Sciences (AIAS) and an Executive Board Member of NHAA.
Karen is a trained university trained Naturopath, Nutritionist, Herbalist and Home Economist.
Qualifications: BHSc. (Nut Med), B Ed’n, Adv Dip Naturopathy, Adv Dip Western Herbal Medicine, Fitgenes Consultant, Cert IV Train & Assess.
Health Rebates available
Do you suffer from any of these?
- Digestive issues?
- Thyroid & Adrenal Fatigue concerns?
- Autoimmune issues?
- Sleep problems?
- Lacking mental clarity & feeling foggy?
- Fatigue and lethargy?
- Skin problems?
- High blood pressure and heart problems?
- Feeling flat and moody?
- Suffer from PMS, hormonal swings that you wish you could control?
- Do you have a long term chronic health issue and don’t know what to do?
- Or perhaps an acute issue that needs addressing now?
At Gaining Health Naturally, we recognise that every person is different and unique. People with the same disease may present with similarities and they may also have different underlying causes and patterns as to why or how a disease has been triggered. As a Naturopath, Nutritionist and Herbalist, Karen Green, works to identify your underlying causes to conditions and designs individualised treatment programs best suited to your needs.
Why wait? Make an appointment today!